Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Our Daily Bread

Good Morning Friends,

Another gorgeous cool morning here in Corn and Soybean land. The perfect kind of morning for long walks in the woods if one was inclined to. No walking for me today though, as I am very tired! Yesterday at work was crazy. I even had to work some over time and my boss HATES giving out over time. I expect another busy day today and so I am resting up and working on some sewing instead of working in the garden. It's only Tuesday and I have a long week ahead--too soon to be so worn out.

Yesterday before work I found a bread machine at the thrift shop. $5. It seems to work when I plug it in and play with the buttons. I printed a manual from the Internet. They did not have that particular model on-line as the company who made it, Regal Ware, no longer makes or repairs bread machines. But that's OK, so long as I have the general idea how to use it I can experiment. This will be my first time making bread in a machine-- I've always hand made bread. However, I rarely do make bread because of my busy life so I always end up buying the grocery store bread. With a machine, I can set a timer before I go to bed at night and have fresh bread for my homemade strawberry jam in the morning when I wake up. How sweet is that?

Have a good day!

Nickie

2 comments:

Twix said...

Hey I just wanted to say, HEY! I found you randomly through a search on gardening. I must say I envy you a tad having chickens and rabbits...and kittens. Although my husband would consent to the first two he would have my hide for the last one. And our town won't let us have the chickens or rabbits. So I'm out of luck in that department. But I've been wanting to garden for a long while and I don't know to much about it. I have a large family and would need to plant enough styff to get us through the years eventually. What would be teh best way to prepare my garden and soil for next years garden now that we are approaching Fall? Thank you if you can help. I have no clue as to what I am doin'!

Nickie said...

Hello twix, glad you stopped by! My husband hated cats when we first met, so one day I brought home a feral kitten from the alley and told him that he didn't have to have anything to do with it. And for a while he didn't but when that cat a little older, she adored him (I have no idea why!) Now they are best friends, she's the apple of his eye and he is her's. This little cat, Freya, is so spunky and so demanding and loyal of him that he couldn't help but fall in love with her eventually. So maybe there is still hope ;). As for rabbits, nobody has to know they are 'livestock' right? they can be house pets too and chickens? a couple hens don't make much noise at all. We certainly aren't supposed to have them here but nobody has complained as we keep them clean and quite so maybe you could try anyway :)

As for starting a garden, make sure you find a spot that gets at least 6-8 hours of direct sun a day. Since it's fall, I would layer thick newspapers over the area you want to turn into garden then pile on soil, manure, straw, leaves, grass clippings---whatever you can get your hands on and let it sit and rot until next spring (this kills the grass which makes it a heck of a lot easier!) I find that forking the soil a little bit after the grass is killed beneath to be helpful before planting. I hope this helps. PS....It's garlic planting time! Dig youerself a small area to puke some garlic cloves then cover with straw or leaves after a hard frost for the winter. :)